Saturday, April 24, 2010

Lakes of Wellington

On this delightful spring day, I ventured out for a bike ride and navigated toward the neighborhoods of east Carrollton, about a mile from my apartment. Growing up as a child, I remember my mom and I taking a route in this area, beside which appeared to be a lush greenway sure to be concealing a creek.

Crossing Marsh Lane, just south of Trinity Mills, I came to this area. The stone sign at the entrance of the subdivision read, "Briarwyck Lakes". Sounds like there should be water somewhere beyond, doesn't it? I pedaled and pedaled, turning on this watermarked street (Fall Creek) and that (Creek Bend). Still no water.

It's a nice day, though, so I keep pressing on, venturing farther south and farther west (away from home). Eventually I come to another marked subdivision, this one named, "Lakes of Wellington". Wow. British lakes. Now this I have to see... So I turn in and explore the neighborhood. No water. Again. What's going on here? No wonder the housing market went south. Even individual neighborhoods are wrought with fraud.

Alas, but for the blissful day, I might be dismayed. But I'm not, so I continue south down a street with "Willow" in it, but of course, no willows anywhere in sight. Upon crossing Keller Springs, I enter what is clearly a step down in economic status--less fanciful street names, lower class cars, and duplexes. However, within about a half mile, I spot what is distinctly a park with a modest waterway and even an arched bridge! What's more, they even have a pretty nice community pool.

So this is interesting. The areas with showy names like "Briarwyck Lakes" (read: "we're so educated, that we spelled 'wick' with a 'y'") and "Lakes of Wellington" (read: "live here and you'll feel like British nobility") are dry and waterless. But the neighborhood called "Two Worlds"--one of which is certainly Hispanic--showed signs of life and held water, absent the haughty claims.

Application for our lives? I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment