Sunday, October 26, 2008

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

I'll try not to spend too many words or too much time on this, since I honestly don't think the topic deserves as much attention as it gets. However, some decisions I've heard recently sincerely trouble my heart to the point that I feel I must speak. I realize that in writing this, I will be challenging the positions held by some close friends who will likely read this, so please know two things before proceeding.
  1. I fully respect your convictions, and if your decision is a matter of conscience such that you feel it would be violating God's command in Scripture to do otherwise, then I am definitely not telling you to violate your conscience.
  2. As I analyze the choices available, please understand that I am not mocking or belittling anyone for the positions they hold. I simply desire to show logically where such decisions will lead.
Those points stated, the subject at hand is politics, specifically an analysis of the effects of voting for a candidate outside of the mainstream (Republican or Democratic) parties.

To anyone in the primary audience of this letter, I applaud your involvement in the political process. I am quite confident that you did not come to the decision to support an independent just because you woke up one morning and picked the first yard sign you passed. Rather, you are probably where you are because you have researched the options and feel deeply that the popular choices are no longer acceptable or in alignment with your beliefs. For taking a stand on your convictions, I salute you. At the same time, I also know that elections are strategic -- candidates cater to their constituents and others they hope to sway, and supporters do their best to appeal to people's hearts in order to get their man or woman in office. And they do all of this because they endeavor to make a difference in this country. I believe you wish to do the same thing.

That is where the quote, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend", enters. At the end of the day on November 4th, 2008, only the two mainstream presidential parties will have a chance at the White House -- the Republicans or the Democrats. Trust me, I am the utmost of romantics and idealists, but I am also a rationalist and a strategist and the reality is that those parties are effectively the only two options. Before you dismiss me, though, let me be quick to say that your vote for an independent party will make a difference. You'll most likely build up those you most oppose.

How, you ask? I'll tell you. Let's take the Libertarian party for example. People voting for the Libertarian candidate most likely would align closest to the Democratic party in regards to values and positions. If only the Democrats and Republicans were allowed to run for office, then those voting Libertarian would (begrudgingly, perhaps) vote as a Democrat. To make this clear, let's say that the election is somewhat close but that mainstream polls project that the voters will split 53% Democratic / 47% Republican. What happens if the Libertarian party garners an 8% vote, though? The election changes from a Democratic win to a Republican win, because the results change to 45% Democratic / 47% Republican / 8% Libertarian. Notice that the Libertarians didn't win and that those they strongly disagree with actually won. The same scenario applies conversely to the Republican alternatives.

Thus, in this election, all parties are facing off as "enemies". Republican vs. Democratic vs. Libertarian vs. Constitution vs.... Strategically, though, who are the allies in that list? Oddly enough, the Republicans actually hope that the Libertarians succeed some, while the Democrats are pulling for a "strong" Constitution party. Why? Because those who vote Constitution reduce the Republican (conservative) vote, and those who vote Libertarian undermine the Democratic (liberal) vote.

So the real question this election day, regardless of whether you go mainstream or stay independent is: Will you further the conservative or liberal cause? You will support one, but will it be the one you think you're voting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment